In an April 9th letter to the Great Lakes Congressional delegation, the American Great Lakes Ports Association proposed a list of infrastructure investment priorities to stimulate economic growth. Congress is expected to consider legislation later this year to respond to the current economic crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The AGLPA proposed funding for six key initiatives
1. complete the new Soo Lock: $789.07 million
2. rehabilitate the existing Soo Locks: $190 million
3. construct a new heavy ice breaker: $162 million
4. eliminate the regional dredging backlog: $150 million
5. repair breakwaters and jetties: $320 million
6. modernize nation-wide port and dock infrastructure: $1 billion
These initiatives will not only create jobs in the short term, but also represent a prudent investment in the economy of the Great Lakes region. AGLPA stressed that each of the projects and programs has already been authorized by Congress and partially funded. To view a copy of the letter, click here.