In an April 7th, 2021, letter to the Great Lakes Congressional delegation, the American Great Lakes Ports Association proposed a list of Great Lakes navigation infrastructure investment priorities totaling more than $2.9 billion. Congress is expected to consider comprehensive infrastructure investment legislation later this year.
The AGLPA proposed funding for six key initiatives
1. complete the new Soo Lock: $960 million
2. rehabilitate the existing Soo Locks: $225 million
3. construct a new heavy ice breaker: $350 million
4. eliminate the regional dredging backlog: $375 million
5. repair breakwaters and jetties: $320 million
6. modernize nation-wide port and dock infrastructure: $750 million/year
These initiatives will not only create jobs in the short term, but also represent prudent investments in the economy of the Great Lakes region. AGLPA stressed that each of the projects and programs has already been authorized by Congress and partially funded. To view a copy of the letter, click here.